Thursday 6 December 2012

Possible Magazine names and mastheads

As I am creating a pop magazine, I researched the word 'pop' in the Thesaurus to get some ideas of what to call my magazine. Some possible names I came up with are; 'Squeeze,' 'Burst,' 'Echo,' 'Smash' and 'Boom.' I then researched the word 'noise' and came up with; 'Buzz,' 'Talk,' 'Blast' and 'Peace.' Out of all these possible names, my most preferred one is 'Burst.' I think this would be a good name for the magazine I am going to create as it links to the genre of my magazine and projects a positive, happy feel which is what I want my magazine to do. It could also link to the fact that my magazine will be 'bursting' with exciting features such as new and upcoming artists and exclusive interviews.
As I have now decided on the name for my magazine, I started creating possible mastheads that I could use on the front cover of my magazine:

Masthead 1 - I like the way I have designed this particular masthead as it links to the genre of my music magazine as it is feminine and girly. This is effective as it would attract my target audience which is teenage girls. However, I dislike this design as I do not think the font is bold enough for a masthead and therefore may not be eye catching enough if it were to be on a magazine stand. I also think the hearts and the fact that they are pink may be too girly so may decrease the amount of people buying the magazine for example, boys may want to read the articles inside as they may interest them but could be persuaded the magazine is not for them because of this masthead.

Masthead 2 - I like this masthead as I think, unlike masthead 1, it relates to a wider target audience. I have still kept the colour pink as my questionnaire came up with the most popular result that the house colours of my magazine should be bright, but the use of the colour black and the image of the headphones distracts away from the girly, feminine feel. However, although I think this masthead is effective and stands out, I'm not sure whether it would be more suited to a Hip Hop magazine rather then pop. I also think it may be too busy as my research into other music magazine shows their masthead are usually just big and bold but simple which I think is more effective and looks more professional.  

Masthead 3 - I tried to base this design on the masthead of Billboard magazine as I think it is a particularly effective masthead. I like the way this is design is simple but stands out because of the large, bold, black font. I used the colour pink again as it relates to the pop genre but also contrasts well with the black. However, as much as I like this design as it looks simple yet professional, I realised that I could not insert enough colour to make my masthead look as effect as the Billboard masthead with the word 'burst' as it is not long enough.

Masthead 4 - This is my most preferred masthead as I think is covers all of the elements I am trying to achieve. The font is big and bold which would stand out against other magazines and is simple so will not distract away from my main image and cover lines. I have used a pale pink colour which comprehends with the results of my questionnaire and is not too bright or girly so wouldn't decline my target audience. Depending on the main image I choose to use, this masthead would also be quite simple to change if I needed to adjust the colour to match my image more effectively. The typeface is also similar to the fashion magazine, 'Vogue' which I particularly like as it provides a professional, classy look to the magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment